CAMRA LocAle - promoting pubs that sell locally-brewed real ale, reducing the number of 'beer miles', and supporting local breweries.
What is CAMRA LocAle?
CAMRA LocAle is an initiative that promotes pubs stocking locally brewed real ale. The scheme builds on a growing consumer demand for quality local produce and an increased awareness of 'green' issues.
The CAMRA LocAle scheme was created in 2007 by CAMRA's Nottingham branch which wanted to help support the tradition of brewing within Nottinghamshire, following the demise of local brewer Hardys and Hansons. There are currently 125 CAMRA branches participating in the LocAle scheme which have accredited hundreds of pubs as LocAle pubs which regularly sell at least one locally-brewed real ale.
Everyone benefits from local pubs stocking locally-brewed real ale...
- Public houses as stocking local real ales can increase pub visits
- Consumers who enjoy greater beer choice and diversity
- Local brewers who gain from increased sales
- The local economy because more money is spent and retained locally
- The environment due to fewer ‘beer miles' resulting in less road congestion and pollution
- Tourism due to an increased sense of local identity and pride - let's celebrate what makes our locality different.
Accreditation is at the sole discretion of the local CAMRA branch and subject to the licensee agreeing to the following...
- That they will endeavour to ensure at least one locally brewed real ale, as defined by the local branch, is on sale at all times
- Only real ale, as defined by CAMRA, can be promoted as a CAMRA LocAle
- Where the standard of real ale sold falls below an acceptable quality, accreditation will be withdrawn
- That accreditation can be withdrawn at any time at the discretion of the local branch
- That should accreditation be withdrawn, or should the licensee withdraw from the scheme, all LocAle publicity material must be removed from the pub and the licensee cease using the CAMRA LocAle logo.
Definition of Local
The Sustainable Communities Act, which CAMRA strongly supports, provides a definition of local as up to 30 miles from the point of sale. CAMRA recommends that the distance is calculated from the pub to the brewery and should be based on the shortest driving distance. Real ales from regional and national breweries as well as from microbreweries can be regarded as "local" if they are brewed within what the branch has decided as being the local area.
How do I find a LocAle Pub?
Pubs which have been given LocAle status by their local CAMRA branch can display the LocAle sticker on their windows/doors. The stickers have the year for which they have been accredited as LocAle pubs by their branch. They may also have posters up in the pub and on the pumps that are serving locally brewed beers there will be LocAle pump clip crowners.
Pubs which have joined the LocAle scheme are listed below:-
- Appledore - Black Lion, 15 The Street, TN26 2BU
- Ashford - George Hotel, 68 High Street, TN24 8TB
- Bodsham - Timber Batts, School Lane, TN25 5JQ
- Brabourne Lees - Blue Anchor, Bridge Road, TN25 6QQ
- Brook - Honest Miller, The Street, TN25 5PG
- Burmarsh - Shepherd & Crook, Shear Way, TN29 0JJ
- East Brabourne - Five Bells, The Street, TN25 5LP
- Elham - Abbot's Fireside, High Street, CT4 6TD
- Elham - Kings Arms, The Square, CT4 6TJ
- Folkestone - Chambers, Cheriton Place, CT20 2BB
- Folkestone - Firkin Alehouse, 18 Cheriton Place, CT20 2AZ
- Folkestone - Lifeboat, 42 North Street, CT19 6AF
- Folkestone - Master Brewer, Perries Mead, CT19 5UD
- Folkestone - Nailbox, 74 Coolinge Lane, CT20 3QE
- Great Chart - Swan & Dog, The Street, TN23 3AN
- Hastingleigh - Bowl, The Street, TN25 5HU
- Hawkinge - White Horse, 7 Canterbury Road, CT18 7JA
- High Halden - Chequers on the Green, Ashford Road, TN26 3LP
- Hythe - Britannia, 26 Horn Street, CT21 5SR
- Hythe - Globe Inn, 6-8 High Street, CT21 5AT
- Hythe - Potting Shed, 160A High Street, CT21 5JR
- Hythe - Three Mariners, 37 Windmill Street, CT21 6BH
- Hythe - White Hart, 71 High Street, CT21 5AJ
- Kennington - Old Mill, Mill Lane, TN25 4DZ
- Mersham - Farriers Arms, The Forstal, TN25 6NU
- Monks Horton - Black Horse, Fiddling Lane, TN25 6AP
- Newenden - White Hart, Rye Road, TN18 5PN
- New Romney - Smugglers' Alehouse, 10 St Lawrence Court, High Street, TN28 8BU
- Pluckley - Dering Arms, Station Road, TN27 0RR
- Rolvenden - Bull Inn, 1 Regent Street, TN17 4PB
- Rolvenden - Star, 30 High Street, TN17 4LN
- Sandgate - Inn Doors, 96 Sandgate High Street, CT20 3BY
- Sandgate - Ship, 65 Sandgate High Street, CT20 3AH
- Shadoxhurst - Kings Head, Woodchurch Road, TN26 1LQ
- Smeeth - Dog House, Evegate Business Park, TN25 6SX
- Snargate - Red Lion, TN29 9UQ
- Stelling Minnis - George Inn, Stone Street, CT4 6DF
- Stowting - Tiger, Main Street, TN25 6BA
- Tenterden - White Lion Hotel, 57 High Street, TN30 6BD
- Tenterden - Woolpack Hotel, 26 High Street, TN30 6AP
- Warehorne - Woolpack, Church Lane, TN26 2LL
- Wye - Barbers Arms, 169 Bridge Street, TN25 5DP
- Wye - New Flying Horse, Upper Bridge Street, TN25 5AN
- Wye - Tickled Trout, Bridge Street, TN25 5EB
Hopefully other landlords & managers will follow suite and join LocAle and support local breweries and the green environment.
Pubs that qualify and partake in the LocAle scheme will be mentioned in future editions of Marsh Mash and listed on this website.